- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1-14 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic- like Hunts
- 1-3 tablespoons diced chiplote chilies in adobo
- 1 medium yellow onion-sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin (I like Penzeys.)
- 8-10 tortillas
- 2 sliced avocado
- 1 sliced fresh jalapeno (optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Queso Fresco or Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I like low-fat Daisy.)
- 1 lime
- pickled red cabbage (optional)
These Quick Chicken Tinga Tacos with Lime Creme are fresh and bold. They look and taste like they could be from a restaurant, but come together in a few minutes on your stove top for the perfect weeknight meal.
- Slice onion and place in a pan with the shredded chicken, the fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, cumin, and a few tablespoons of chipolte with adobo sauce. Keep in mind, this is spicy, so if you don’t like spicy things limit this ingredient!
- Stir and place the pan over medium heat. Stirring every few minutes until the sauce become thick and the chicken is hot. This will take about 20 minutes. I used frozen, shredded chicken for this, and no, I did not thaw it first. I just cooked it a little longer to get it hot.
- While the chicken mixture cooks, slice the avocado and jalapeno. Set it aside.
- Place the tortillas in the oven to warm up for a few minutes. We used flour here, but corn tortillas would also be tasty.
- In a bowl combine the sour cream with the juice from half of a lime. You want it a little runny for easy drizzling.
- When the chicken is done, put inside your tortilla. Top with your lime creme, avocado, Queso Fresco (Feta is an awesome substitute!), and pickled red cabbage. I used my Fiesta Roja Red Cabbage Curtido from Sobremesa that I found at a Vermont Farmer’s Market, but any pickled red cabbage would work or you could use fresh shredded too for a pop of color.
Do you have leftover chicken? No problem! Refreeze it for an even quicker meal in the future. Put it in a tortilla and make quesadillas, mix with rice and beans for a rice bowl, or make nachos.
If you’re interested in ordering these amazing fermented products from Vermont. This is not an affiliate link. These are just natural, delicious products that I found and instantly fell in love with. You can follow the link here
The Teacher's Table
Don’t forget to comment and share!