|vegetable broth||2 cups|
|fire roasted diced tomatoes- like Hunts||1-14.5 oz can|
|roasted red peppers||1-8 oz. jar|
|diced onion||1 medium|
|minced garlic||2-3 cloves|
|butter or olive oil||2 tbsp|
|dried basil-I use Penzeys.||2 tsp|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|red pepper flakes-Optional, but I like things spicy.||1-2 tsp|
|toasted bread crumbs or croutons for garnish-optional|
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup can be thrown together in minutes. It’s vegetarian and low-fat. I really like this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. It’s very filling both heart and soul!
The Teacher's Table
- Put your butter or olive oil into a stock pot over medium heat.
- Add your diced onions, minced garlic, bay leaf, and dried basil. Cook everything for about 2 minutes to soften the garlic and onions.
- Add your broth, the jar or roasted red peppers juice and all, and the can of fire roasted tomatoes. No, you don’t have to have the fire roasted kind, but it does add a nice flavor to the soup.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and allow the soup to come to a low boil.
- At this point use your immersion blender to puree the soup or carefully, VERY carefully, working in small batches puree the soup in your Ninja or blender.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. At this point I always add at least a teaspoon of red pepper flakes too, but if you don’t like spicy you can leave them out.
- Serve with toasted bread crumbs or croutons and more red pepper flakes if desired. Mr. Teacher doesn’t like things quite as spicy as me, so I put extra on the side.
Click and use my code for special offers! Get $10 for signing up now!Want to earn money back on groceries you buy every week? Check out these sites out now!