- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 sticks butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger chips or chopped crystallized ginger
Hands down, these are my absolute favorite cookies! They are perfectly, chewy, spicy, and sweet with little pops of crystallized ginger chunks. They are fabulous fresh, but can also easily be frozen and stored for serving at a later time. I keep a bag in the freezer for a when I need a treat. This is an adapted recipe from the Ginger People.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl cream softened butter and sugar until it is light and airy.
- Stir in the molasses and egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Add in crystallized ginger chips. (Chopped crystallized ginger could also be used.)
- For the best results, pop the bowl of dough in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Then, place tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough about 2 inches apart on to your baking stone or cookie sheet using a cookie dough dropper or tablespoon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Carefully remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool for a few minutes before devouring.