- 1 large or 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 jar-I like the spicy Barilla. spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups low-fat ricotta
- 1-8oz. bag shredded Italian heese blend-Sargento has a good mix.
- Optional-Italian sausage, fresh basil, and red pepper flakes
This go to meal is big on flavor and low on carbs. It’s quick to throw together and bakes up beautifully in the oven.
- Wash squash and place it in the microwave for 5 minutes. This makes it easier to cut in half, but is not a mandatory step.
2. Remove from microwave. Cut in half and scrape our the seeds only. You don’t want to waste the delicious squash!
3. Place on your baking stone skin side up in a 425 degree oven for 30 minutes. (I cook mine right along side some Italian Sausage.) After 30 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven, flip is over, and carefully fluff it with a fork as seen below.
4. Divide the sauce evenly among the squash. Pour the sauce slowly over the top of the squash.
5. Top with ricotta and then with the shredded cheese blend.
6. Place back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes or until the cheese is hot, melted, and slightly browned.
7. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil and red pepper flakes if you desire. Serve along side Italian Sausage if you wish.