- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups all purpose flour- I use King Arthur.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract-I use Penzeys.
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon-I use Penzeys.
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger-I use Penzeys.
- 1 tablespoon cloves-I use Penzeys.
- 1 tablespoon allspice-I use Penzeys.
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup optional- walnuts, diced fresh apple, cranberries, raisins
Spiced Apple Bread with Cinnamon Glaze is the perfect thing for a sweet fall breakfast or a light dessert. The bread itself isn’t super sweet. The spicy, sweet cinnamon glaze makes it perfect! I added in diced apples and walnuts here, but dried cranberries or raisins would also be delicious.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the softened butter, buttermilk, apple sauce, brown sugar, vanilla, 3 tablespoons of cinnamon, ginger,cloves, allspice, salt, and 2 eggs. Stir to combine.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add in the optional ingredients. I used diced apple and walnuts in the loaf below.
- Divide the batter between the loaf pans and place in the warm oven.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. You could also do these as muffins. You would just decrease the baking time to 15-20 minutes.
- Place the bread upside down on a baking rack to cool.
- Make the glaze by combining your 1/4 cups -1/2 cups apple juice with the remainder of the cinnamon (1 tablespoon) to 1 cup of powdered sugar until it is your desired thickness.
- When the bread is cool to the touch. Flip it over, remove it from the pan, and drizzle with glaze.
The Teacher's Table
Don’t forget to comment and share!