- 24 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
This easy, gorgeous ruby red sauce is the perfect accompaniment to any holiday dinner. It is super quick to throw together and it is so much better than the one in a can. This sauce is great as a side, but you can also use it to top crackers with goat or cream cheese, add it on top of a bagel, or use it to top baked brie as well. I have even put some in a glass of sparkling wine.
- Rinse the cranberries and pick out any that look yucky or soft. Remember fresh ones will bounce.
- Put the cranberries into a pot with the water and sugar.
- Place the pot over medium high heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes. You will start to hear and see the berries popping. Stir.
- Cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Stir and taste. You can add more sugar if you like, but I really like the tartness of the berries.
- Cool down and serve. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
If you have a little cranberry sauce leftover and you are looking for an added kick, mix a half cup of cranberry sauce with a few tablespoons of horseradish. It makes a wonderful sauce on all types of sandwiches.