|ground beef, ground chicken or turkey, or veggie patty||1 lb or 4 patties|
|pizza sauce||1 cup|
|Shredded Italian Cheese Blend||8 oz.|
|granulated garlic-I use Penzeys.||2 tsp|
|Italian or Pizza Seasoning-I use Penzeys.||1 tablespoon|
|olive oil||1-2 tablespoons|
|assorted toppings: green and black olives, bell pepper, onion, banana peppers, mushrooms, etc.||about 1/4 cup of each|
|red pepper flakes-optional|
A pizza-burger is just what it sounds like; part pizza, part burger, all delicious! I grew up in Northern Michigan and we used to have pizza burgers all the time. Since growing up and moving about as far south as I can go, I have discovered that not everyone knows what a pizza burger is, so I have decided to bring to you. This easy twist on 2 of of the best dishes in the world mashed up into one should not be missed.
- Gather all of your ingredients because this goes pretty fast.
- Brush or spray a little olive oil on the inside of your buns and sprinkle them with half of the garlic powder.
- Place the buns cut side down into a frying pan or on the grill over medium heat. Allow the buns to get nice and toasted. This will take about 3 minutes, but watch them closely so they do not burn.
- Prepare your meat while the buns toast. I like to use ground turkey for this, but chicken or beef would work too. If you’re using a veggie patty just skip this step. Place your protein of choice into a bowl with the remaining granulated garlic and Italian seasoning or pizza seasoning and mix until everything is combined.
- Evenly divide the protein into 4 equal sized portions and form into burger shapes.
- Wash your hands and remove the buns from the frying pan, if you haven’t already done so. Place your patties into the hot pan. If your using a veggie patty, cook them according to the package directions. For beef, cook the patties for about 4 minutes per side. For chicken or turkey, cook the patties for about 6 minutes per side.
- While the burgers cook, slice and dice up your toppings. You can also heat up your sauce if you like. I heat Mr. Teacher’s up in the microwave, but I like mine cold. I just use jarred spaghetti sauce because I usually have it on hand.
- When your patties are done cooking, spread a bit of sauce onto each top. Then add a tiny bit of cheese. Followed by your desired toppings. I’m a black and green olive, red onion, green peppers, and banana peppers kind girl. While Mr. Teacher likes green olives and green peppers. It doesn’t take a lot to cover the top of the burgers. Finally add more cheese to cover the toppings. Put a lid onto the pan with a splash, and I mean like a tablespoon, of water. Let the cheese melt locking all your yummy toppings to the burgers. This takes about a minute.
- Add more sauce to the bottom bun. Carefully remove the cheese and topping loaded burgers from the pan and place them on the bun. Top with the remaining bun and serve with extra sauce if desired.
*Use a good hamburger bun from the bakery, trust me, it matters.
*Serve extra sauce on the side for dipping along with plenty of napkins.
*I really like to eat this with extra room temperature or even cold sauce-so good!
*I like to use green bell peppers in this, but any bell peppers will work. This is just like pizza and almost anything goes.
*If you like spicy, sprinkle your burgers with red pepper flakes.
Don’t forget to like, comment, and share!