|Green Curry Paste||2 oz.|
|coconut milk||13.5 oz can|
|fish sauce||1-2 tablespoons|
|protein of choice: Chicken, shrimp, tofu||8 to 16 oz.|
|assorted vegetables: bell pepper, onions, bamboo shoots, green beans, broccoli, zucchini, pea pods, tomatoes, etc.||1/2 to 1 cup of each that you desire|
|lime cut into wedges||1|
|fresh basil||a handful|
|brown or white sugar||1 tablespoon|
|cooked rice||about 4 cups|
This delicious and simple Thai Green Curry is the perfect make your own take-out meal. It comes together in minutes with mostly pantry ingredients. The best part is you can use just about anything in it and it will always taste good.
- If you’re cooking your protein, cook it in the skillet you will make the curry in to save on dishes. Just do it first using a little salt and pepper. Then set it aside. If you’re using leftover shrimp or chicken, set it aside for later in the preparation.
- Prepare your rice according to the package directions. I prefer Jasmine rice with this. I usually make 4 cups of rice, so you will need 2 cups of dry rice and 4 cups of water. Just get this going and move back to the curry.
- Add your curry, coconut milk, sugar, and fish sauce to the skillet. Stir over low heat to combine and begin to get warm. I think it adds a nice funky taste, so I usually use about 2 tablespoons. No, I don’t measure. Start with just one tablespoon or a good shake of fish sauce, you can always add more after tasting it.
- Add in your veggies that will take the most time to cook, bell peppers, onions, broccoli, frozen vegetables, etc. 5-6 minutes. Delicate items like fresh tomatoes, fresh, pea pods, and fresh beans will not take long to cook-maybe 2 minutes. Remember you want the veggies to retain their shape and color. You do not want them to be mushy.
- When the sauce is hot and the veggies are nearly cooked, add your protein of choice. Stir to combine.
- By now the rice should be nearly perfect. Ladle the curry over the rice. Top with sliced jalapeno, a squeeze of lime, and a handful of basil.
*I really like the Simple Asia Thai Kitchen Green Curry. It’s easy to find in stores and is yummy.
*The jar of curry will make 2 batches of curry. Buy once for 2 dinners.
*You can use low-fat coconut milk, but the full fat stuff makes this super creamy and delicious.
*Don’t waste any coconut milk! Always use a little water to swoosh around in the can to get out all the extra yumminess and add it to your curry.
*Leftover chicken is great in this! Just put the chicken in the sauce to heat up for an extra quick meal.
*Serve this with Jasmine rice.
*Any basil will work if you don’t have Thai basil.
*Brown sugar will add a richer flavor. If you don’t have it, just use white. No biggie.
*Frozen veggies work fine in this.
*Do you have meat-eaters and meat free-ers coming to dinner? Serve the proteins on the side and load up the curry with plenty of veggies.
*The amount of veggies and proteins are not exact. They are recommendations with a method of making the curry sauce. Use what you have on hand and what you like. Mix and match. The version pictured above contained leftover chicken breast, frozen green beans, and half of a tomato that needed to be eaten. You would never know that from the picture or the taste!
Don’t forget you can follow my nearly daily posts on Instagram and Facebook.
Don’t forget to like, comment, and share!