|New York Strip Steak||1-large 1 lb steak thick cut|
|seasoning rub (Try the Prime Rib Rub.)||2 tbsp|
|colorful mini bell peppers||15-20|
|button or cremini mushrooms||10-20|
|medium zucchini||1 medium|
|Garlic Basil Butter (Optional, but highly recommended.)|
Nothing says “Date Night” , like a big, juicy New York Strip Steak cooked on the grill. This steak is ready in minutes and turns out perfect every time! I like to baste the steak and vegetables with my Garlic Basil Butter as it cooks.
- Remove steak from the refrigerator and massage about 2 tablespoons of English Prime Rib Rub or rub of your choosing into the meat.
- Set the steak on a plate so it won’t toughen up on the grill and the seasonings can begin to do their work while you prep the vegetables.
Vegetable prep: You can use what ever mix of vegetables you would like, but I generally have onions, mushrooms, zucchini, and mini bell peppers on hand. Place vegetables carefully onto the bamboo skewers (This is optional, but it makes flipping easier and allows for more grilled flavor and color!) or into a grill basket.
- Cut the ends off the onions and cut them in half and skewer through the sides of the onions so they will lay flat. (If using a grill basket, cut the onions smaller.)
- Wipe the mushrooms off with a damp cloth and skewer from tip to tip.
- Wash and cut an assortment of colors of mini bell peppers into 1/4 slices removing seeds. Skewer.
- Cut off ends of zucchini and slice into 1 inch slices. Use the same method to skewer as the onions so they will lay flat.
If you are using the Garlic Basil Butter, prep this now or you can simply brush the vegetables with olive oil before placing them on the grill, but they will lack flavor.
Grab a cold drink, a fork, a pair of grill safe tongs, a basting brush, and a piece of paper towel. Place everything onto a large baking sheet pan with edges. (This includes your plate with the steak. Don’t touch the raw meat on anything!) Go outside to the grill.
1.Turn the grill on high. While it is heating up, place the Garlic Basil Butter on the top rack or off to the side to melt.
2. When the butter is melted, remove it from the heat using the tongs or the paper towel, place on baking sheet pan and then baste your vegetables with it.
3. Turn the grill down to medium. Place your onions on the grill first. They will take the longest. Give them a good 3-4 minutes without touching them too much. You want grill marks. I tend to leave the handle of the skewer outside of the grill, but don’t worry, if it catches on fire, it won’t hurt anything. If there is a tiny flare up leave it alone. If a big flare up happens, simply move the vegetables to another part of the grill.
4. After 3-4 minutes add the zucchini onto the grill. Follow the same rule as with the onions. At this point baste onions again and flip them over.
5. After 2 or 3 minutes, place your steak on the grill. DO NOT TOUCH IT once it hits the grates. Let the marks happen. Instead of touching the steak, rebaste the zucchini and flip. Rebaste the onions and either flip or move to a cooler part of the grill to cook the inside. Bring the yucky raw steak plate into the house.
6. We like our steak thick and cooked medium rare, you can always leave the steak on the grill longer until it reaches your desired temperature. I flip mine after 3 minutes and baste with the Garlic Basil Butter.
7. Now you can add the peppers and mushrooms to the grill. Watch these closely. Continue basting everything with the Garlic Basil Butter, including the steak. I let everything cook for about 5 more minutes.
8. Remove the steak from the grill and place onto baking sheet. Baste with Garlic Basil Butter one more time. Let it rest! Remove vegetables from the grill and place on baking sheet. Baste with Garlic Basil Butter and remove skewers.
Carry everything into the house. Dish up vegetables, refill drinks, and then remove the steak from the grill pan and carefully slice it in half. Place one half on each plate with the vegetables and enjoy!
This is my go to seasoning for just about anything beef. When it’s been a long week and I want a good meal. I reach for this!
Wow all of your recipes look so good! I can’t wait to try.