|chicken-We like boneless skinless breats
|lemon juice ,zest and whole
|2 lemons total
|olive oil or grape seed oil-This will be used 4 times
|red pepper flakes
|granulated onion-I use Penzeys.
|heirloom cherry or grape tomatoes any color
|about 2 cups
|sliced zucchini or asparagus with the ends trimmed
|russet potatoes washed with skins on
|salt and pepper to taste
Grilled Lemon Chicken with Blistered Heirloom Tomatoes and Summer Vegetables looks fancy enough that you would order it at a restaurant, but it’s simple enough for a week night meal. It is packed with big, bold flavors. It’s gorgeous on a plate too. We do eat with our eyes first! You could also put everything onto a sheet pan for a super easy weeknight meal!
I should note that you can make any part of this dish separately. The chicken is divine on rice or with buttered noodles. Also, if you don’t want to grill, you can just throw everything into the oven at 425 on your baking stone or greased cookie sheets. It will still be gorgeous!
- Several hours to one day before you make this, you will want to marinate the chicken. You can even make the marinade, put it on the chicken and freeze it until you want to make this dish. In a baggie combine the juice and zest from 1 lemon, 1 tbsp of oil, red pepper flakes, granulated onion, and minced garlic cloves with your chicken. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and make sure all the chicken is covered with the marinade.
- When you’re about ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge. go outside and turn your grill on high. I set up an old cookie sheet with everything I will need to make it easier to transport it outside to the grill.
- Cut your potatoes into thick wedges and brush them with 1 tbsp of oil. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper too.
- Toss your tomatoes with 1 tbsp of oil, salt and pepper too.
- Toss your sliced zucchini or asparagus with 1 tbsp of oil salt and pepper.
- Cut you remaining lemon in half
- Head to the grill. It should be hot. I turn one side down to medium and one to low.
- Dump the tomatoes into a basket over the low heat, lay the zucchini on the top rack, lay your wedges and green onions on the medium high side.
- When the wedged start to brown in a minute or 2, I flip them over and brown the other side for another minute or 2.
- When the potatoes are browned, not cooked. Pile them up on the side and put your chicken on the grill.
- Keep in mind that you will need to be constantly watching the zucchini and tomatoes. When the zucchini is browned you will need to flip it. Once it is done, you can pile on the top rack on over the low side of the grill. You will also want to stir your tomatoes every few minutes. You want the juicy insides to burst and the outside to brown.
- Shut the lid once you put on the chicken. Check on everything else every minute or 2 to see if if needs stirring or moving, but only flip the chicken when it’s half way done cooking. You want some grill marks.
- I put the lemon on the grill for a minute or 2 as well to get the juices flowing and give it some grill flavor. Then I remove it to the baking sheet until it’s time to serve.
- After about 10 minutes, flip the chicken. Continue to check the vegetables. By this time I will usually have all the veggies on the low side of the grill just staying hot and softening up. Cook the chicken for about another 10 minutes. Keep in mind that if you are using bone in chicken it will take longer for it to cook.
- When it is firm to the touch. Remove it from the grill along with everything else. Since your chicken was transported to the grill on the baking sheet, you can pile everything back onto the baking sheet when you go back into the house. Do not cut into your chicken until it has had time to rest and the juices have redistributed. This takes about 5 minutes. It’s the perfect amount of time needed for you to plate.
- Lay everything out on your plates. Top the potato wedges with pesto. I used my Kale Basil Pesto, but my Chive Arugula Pesto or even store bought pesto would work fine. Serve with the grilled lemon.
Click and use my code for special offers! Get $10 for signing up now!Want to earn money back on groceries you buy every week? Check out these sites out now!
The Teacher's Table
Don’t forget to comment and share!